Growing older doesn’t have to be negative! In fact, there are many positive activities and things you can do and practice that will help you stay optimistic and sharp-minded as you age.
- Learn something new every day: Each day is a gift in itself and should be spent doing things we enjoy. There are so many ways to grow as a human and we can never stop learning. Try a new exercise class, attend an activity class you normally wouldn’t, volunteer at a local community group, spend time trying to learn a new skill or trade. Your days will be fuller and brighter when you challenge yourself to learn and grow and stretch!
- Spend quality time with friends and family: At the heart of every human is a special place for family and close friends. As we age, we begin to realize how important time and memories are with the ones we love the most. Make it a priority to spend quality time with your loved ones as much as possible!
- Laugh A Lot: Laughter truly is the best medicine. When you look back at your life, all-encompassing, all you can really do is laugh and be grateful you made it this far! Each of us goes through the good, the bad and the ugly, and at some point, laughter is the only medicine. Try reading the morning comics or telling jokes to each other and see how much laughter really changes your perspective in an instant.
- Embrace Age: It happens to us all and not one of us is excused! Though many of us would like to stay young forever, there is so much worth and beauty in aging. The life experiences and journey you’ve been on is for a purpose, and our world would not go round if it weren’t for people of all ages and life stages. Embrace it!
- Stay Fit: A Harvard study of over 1,600 older men and women found that adding light exercises to your routine, even if you didn’t work out before, can make you over 25 percent less likely to become disabled. Though you probably already knew this, the reality is that just by doing simple exercises such as walking, aqua aerobics, chair exercises or light core workouts, you decrease the likelihood of getting injured. Plus, your attitude and outlook on daily life will become much happier due to the endorphins produced during this time! Give it a go!
For more information on senior living communities Tulsa OK or retirement homes in Tulsa OK, contact us here.