Spending time with your animal can have both physical, emotional and mental benefits. Want to know how?
- It’s good for your heart: One study showed that dog owners had a significantly better survival rate one year after a heart attack. Overall, pet owners have a lower risk of dying from any cardiac disease, including heart failure.
- Increased time outside: Fresh air and sunshine give you a good dose of Vitamin D, which serves as a natural supplement in fighting mental and physical conditions such as depression, heart attacks, cancer and obesity. Now go and take your dog on a walk even if it’s just around the block! Engaging with nature is refreshing.
- More meaning and a better mood: Generally, those who have pets are happier, more trustful and less lonely.Owning a pet also gives you a sense of meaning and purpose.
- Lowers blood pressure: Having a pet can help manage this but diet and exercise must continue to be monitored. In one particular study of 240 couples, pet owners had lower heart rates and blood pressure, regardless if they were under a stress test or at rest.
- Helps lower cholesterol: Researchers have noted lower levels of cholesterol in people who have pets. This could be due to the likelihood that most pet owners typically have a more active lifestyle.
- For those who already have pets, enjoy and reap the benefits of having one. For those considering owning a pet, think of all the above-mentioned benefits for your health and beyond!
Fortunately, for the folks here at University Village, our furry friends are a vital part of our thriving community. We even have a bark park and walking paths for owners and pets. If you’d like to know more about our community, contact us here (918) 299-2661 or visit our website www.uvrc.com.
For more information on assisted living Tulsa OK, retirement homes in Tulsa OK or senior living communities in Tulsa OK, contact us here.